Friday, May 20, 2011

Challenge Day 1~ Self-portrait

I stumbled upon a 30 day drawing challenge that I am going to take on. I really want to develop as an artist, but I am probably the least disciplined person in the world. Especially when it comes to drawing while I am a full time student.

The first challenge is to do a self-portrait. This ended up taking way more time that I thought it would, so I will share with you my process. I'm not to thrilled about the final product as I got a bit frustrated and settled for what came of it all. Here's my process:

Step 1: Establish perspective, axis, and mild contour. Notice the lines across the face which establish eye, nose, ear, and mouth positions.






Step 2: Further develop contour and overall shapes.




Step 3: Establish major features.




Step 4: Details!




Step 5: Drop opacity on all layers and do more solid line work.




Step 6: Finish basic line work.

This is where I ended up settling due to frustration, and I turned all layers back on.


I've discovered that maybe inking is just not for me. I really like the results of Step 4, but then it went sort of downhill. Oh well.
We'll see what happens tomorrow! 

3 comments:

  1. You're right--it looks awful.

    OK, seriously, from my perspective, it looks pretty dang good, but what do I know?

    I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more of your 30-day challenge. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nathan. You are doing great. Just quit being so hard on yourself. I like the idea of the 30 day challenge. I know about the self discipline stuff so don't worry about it.

    I like the work so far and look forward to more of it.
    Love,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Brian- Hahahaha! That was funny. Thanks man.

    @ Mom–Thank you. I wouldn't be where I am now if I wasn't hard on myself! :) Drawing is an ongoing process of learning from your mistakes and trying new things next time.

    ReplyDelete